Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 24:21 — 33.6MB) | Embed
Blubrry is dedicated to implementing Podcasting 2.0 features; today we’ll be exploring what some of these features are and how they work within the Blubrry Podcasting platform.
We hope you enjoy today’s episode of Podcast Insider; we’ve worked hard to ensure that you’re getting the best podcast knowledge. We’ll still be periodically having guests, so if you’re interested in being featured reach out to the team.
Today’s Hosts: Todd Cochrane and Mike Dell
What is RSS and why is it important to podcasting?
- Really Simple Syndication
- RSS is an OPEN web standard (not owned or controlled by anyone)
- It’s the primary way that podcasts are distributed
- It is what keeps podcasting an open medium that is not cancelable
What is the Podcasting 2.0 project?
- It’s an open project to add features to RSS
- It’s an open directory of podcasts (podcastindex.org)
- It’s a way to monetize podcasts via Value4Value rather than advertising
What new features are available through the Podcasting 2.0 project?
- Live Item – Allows you to announce via your RSS feed that you are going live. Adds the ability to listen/watch live without leaving your podcast app.
- V4V – Allows satellite streaming and boosts donations and comments via lighting (bitcoin)
- Transcripts / Closed captioning – Your transcript link in the feed can be viewed on apps that allow it. It also can be viewed on closed caption-capable players/apps.
- Credits – Who are your hosts, guests, producer and so on? Like movie credits right in your RSS feed
- TXT – An open tag for codes and other things to prove ownership once the email address is removed from the feed.
- Location – Allows you to set the location of your show or an episode.
- Cross-app comments – This allows people to comment on your episode no matter which app they are using, without leaving the app.
- GUID – A behind-the-scenes tag that identifies your podcast no matter where you host or move to. Kind of an ID number for your show.
- Funding – A place to put your donate link, such as Patreon, PayPal, Buymeacoffee or donate page right in the feed for apps to show.
- And more!
Why is Podcasting 2.0 important?
- It allows for innovation in the podcast industry
- It helps keep podcasting a free and open standard for the open web
- It offers alternative funding for shows thorough V4V
- Read more here
Got a subject you would like us to cover on the show, Drop an email to email@example.com (audio, text, video), and we may use it. You can also post a question on the Blubrry Podcasting Facebook group.
The best place for support with any Blubrry product or service is our ticket system (https://blubrry.com/support/). Tickets give the whole team access rather than direct emails or calls.
Fill out our listener survey at surveys.blubrry.com/podcastinsider
- Schedule a one-on-one with Todd (hosting customers only). Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schedule a tech checkup with Mike (hosting customers only). Email email@example.com
- Send us your podcast sticker and a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and we will send you a Blubrry care package.
Our mailing address:
Blubrry – MacKenzie
150 E. Campus View Blvd. #180
Columbus, Ohio 43235