You can never truly predict the outcome of your podcast, and that stands true for Serial, as Adnan Syed was released from prison earlier this week, the focus on season one of a hit podcast from 2014. MacKenzie joins Todd this episode to discuss the effects of a podcast, a bit on the history of the RSS feed, and editing and marketing tactics.
Thanks for joining us on this episode of Podcast Insider. Looking to be a guest on the show? Let us know. Emails are listed at the bottom of show notes.
- Adnan Syed, whose story was the focus of the hit podcast Serial in season one, has been released from prison. Syed’s story was kicked off by Serial and then again thoroughly discussed in the podcast Undisclosed. This is not the first case podcasting has shed light on that had a profound impact in real life, but it is known as the first true crime podcast to bring in millions of new podcast listeners back in 2014.
- Apple wants your website address for podcasting (in the EU).
- Open podcast prefix project.
- RSS 2.0 is 20 years old! View the RSS timeline here.
- Spotify has added audio books to their platform.
Trial runs. Don’t skimp out and decide it’s unnecessary to test out your equipment, even those that have done this before. Podcast equipment is best tested multiple times and with multiple people.
- Blog Post: How Radio Experience Can Translate to Podcasting – by Meryl Klemow
- Getting Started in Podcasting, a webinar – Tuesday September 27th at 4:30pm. Register here.
Blubrry Pro Tip
Marking edit points in your recording
Question of the Week
Question: What is a good (unorthodox) way that can help you grow your community/listeners?
Answer: A variety of options such as: billboards, call into the radio, tables/booths small local events, etc. Many of our partners and friends such as Pro-Production, Podcast Academy by Proudmouth, Produce Your Podcast, and more have lots to say on this subject.
Got a question you’d like us to answer on the show? Drop an email to email@example.com (audio, text, video) and we may use it. You can also post a question on the Blubrry Podcasting Facebook group.
The best place for support with any Blubrry products/services is our ticket system (https://blubrry.com/support/). Tickets give the whole team access rather than direct emails or calls.
Coming to you this week from the New Media Production Studio in Coldwater, Michigan & the Blubrry Studio in Columbus, OH. Produced by the Blubrry Pro-Production team.
Fill out our listener survey at surveys.blubrry.com/podcastinsider
- Schedule a one-on-one with Todd (hosting customers only). Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schedule a tech checkup with Mike (hosting customers only). Email email@example.com
- Send us your podcast sticker and a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and we will send you a Blubrry care package.
Our mailing address is:
Blubrry – MacKenzie
150 E. Campus View Blvd. #180
Columbus, Ohio 43235