New RSS feed tags have been added for podcasters
Today, Blubrry released an update of our WordPress plugin, PowerPress 8.5, now featuring five new RSS feed tags initiated by the Podcast Index team. These new tags put more power in the podcaster’s hand, such as creator protections, personalization and accessibility.
The following tags were added:
- Lock – make sure no one can import your show to a different directory, host, etc., aka piracy
- Transcript – easily add your episode transcripts, good for SEO and accessibility (and can be added publishing)
- Funding – this tag will work with any donation URL also in your feed
- Location – add your location, similar to Instagram posts and Tweets
- Chapters – help your listeners jump to a specific portion of your episode
These tags are easy to find and use within PowerPress, and you can pick and choose which ones to use or try out. Any PowerPress user can take advantage of these tags; you do not need to be using Blubrry podcast hosting. You’ll find Lock under Feed and Feed Settings; Funding and Location in Feeds and Basic Show Information; and Chapters and Transcripts in the Advanced tab in the episode publishing section.
“We knew from the start that we wanted to implement these tags; we’re interested in any improvement on RSS feeds,” said Todd Cochrane, CEO of Blubrry. “These tags from Podcast Index undoubtedly help podcasters protect and build their shows.”
The Podcast Index team’s main focus is to ensure that podcasting remains an open platform of free speech for any and all creators. The tags are one of the first ways they are pushing the industry forward for inclusivity and accessibility.
This isn’t our only PowerPress update, we’ll be releasing a new update shortly that we know you’ll like as well. Look for it this month and, as always, keep in touch and let us know what you think!