The Perimenopausal Mamas Podcast
Episode 87: Back to the Basics! 10 Simple (and Free) Tips That Can Make a World of Difference for Your Energy, Vitality, Hormone Balance and More
This episode was originally released on June 18, 2020. We had such great feedback on the tips provided that we decided to re-release it. Even if you had previously listened to this episode, it is still useful to listen again to be reminded how powerful simple daily habits can make a world of difference when it comes to your health. (Note: for the month of August, we are re-releasing some "oldies but goodies" - popular previously recorded episodes. We will go back to releasing new episodes in September 2021).
The majority of your health, energy and vitality is determined by the small, consistent habits that you incorporate daily. In this episode, Dr. Lisa and Dr. Toni "go back to the basics" and uncover 10 simple (and free!) things you can do to support energy, immunity, hormone balance, mood, digestion, disease prevention and more. Pick 1 or 2 health habits that resonate with you and that are easy to incorporate. Every little bit helps!
In this episode, we cover:
* Deep breathing* Prioritizing sleep* Drinking water* Practicing Hydrotherapy* Adding fresh herbs and spices to your food* Eating more veggies* Getting in “exercise snacks” throughout the day* Connecting to nature* Practicing gratitude* Being a part of a community
* Deep Breathing* Dr. Lisa’s favourite technique is Box Breathing aka 4-4-4-4 Breath* This technique is simple and easy. You can notice benefits of box breathing even after 1-2 minutes* You can practice deep breathing while you are showering, working, walking, watching tv, driving or stressful transitions with your kids, like bedtime* It helps to reduce stress, anxiety, possibly blood pressure and cortisol* Boosts feeling of well being and ability to be calm and present* Dr. Toni’s enjoys repurposing the HypnoBirthing Calm Breath (inhale to count of 4, pause, exhale to count of 6-8) in addition to the HypnoBirthing guided relaxation track available on HypnoBirthing Institute website as a free download
* Prioritizing sleep - aim for about 7-8 hours* Sleep is essential for mental and emotional health, in addition to proper metabolism and immune system function* Give yourself permission to make sleep a priority over other things you could be doing - let yourself sleep!* Add in an afternoon nap if you need to (especially if you have little ones still napping) * Drinking Water * Hydration first thing in morning can make a huge difference in your energy, reduce your frequency of headaches and migraines, improve your digestion function and bowel movements* You can increase the quality of your tap water by using a filtration system* Adding lemon or other citrus fruit can add in flavour and more benefits for your health:
* D-limonene is the essential oil found in the rind of citrus shown to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant anti-stress and anti-anxiety properties, plus in animal studies shown to reduce triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure, protect against stomach ulcers
* Practicing Hydrotherapy aka “water therapy”
* 30-60 seconds cold water spray at end of your shower* Boosts your alertness, energy and mood* Helps your skin and hair to have a healthy glow (flattens follicles)* Supports your immunity and circulation to our internal organs* May support your weight loss with the production of more brown fat that produces heat, increasing your metabolism and temperature* Reduces your muscle soreness and can speed up your recovery post-workout* Other hydrotherapy options include cold spray on your feet while waiting for shower water to warm up or wet warming socks at the first sign of a cold* You can check out the free mini-class online by Wim Hof with fo...