Vintage Homeschool Moms
Best Homeschool Parenting Tips with Melanie Wilson
Best Homeschool Parenting Tips with Melanie Wilson ~ Episode 451
What are the best homeschool parenting tips? Well, you are about to find out. Join Felice Gerwitz and Melanie Wilson, podcaster on The Homeschool Sanity Show, here, and learn what works and ways you can overcome disrespect.
Thanks to our sponsor, Media Angels, Inc. with an entire line of online classes, books, and audios to help you with your homeschool journey.
Today we will discuss parenting tips to help you gain control of your family and your life!
Melanie is a Christian Psychologist and she spoke about the difference between disrespect and disobedience, and how important it is to identify and remediate. Simply, disrespect is a child's willful defiance of authority and poor treatment with a lack of respect. Whereas, disobedience is when a child doesn't do what he is told. When children are allowed to disrespect a parent it is a recipe for disaster. There are reasons why a parent does not discipline, and this could be due to temper, anger management issues, or abuse as a child. However, there are ways to discipline without using physical punishment, and one is taking away privileges. [Melanie and Felice discuss various types of discipline that work well in this case.]
* Parents often use too many words. There is no need to explain why you are disciplining your child.
* Building a child's character is important. A child is not what they do. [Felice shares her definition of character assassination and why it should never be used.]
* Validating a child's strengths is important. If a child feels validated, they will feel respected.
Listen to the audio for many more insights about parenting.
Visit Melanie's website here: Psychowith6 and her online store Fun To Learn Books
My Facebook: http://facebook.com/psychowith6
My Instagram: http://instagram.com/psychowith6
Here are some of Melanie's shows that you don't want to miss.
* How to Prevent Sibling Rivalry
* Parenting Practices for Christian Homeschoolers
* 3 Child Discipline Lies That Make Homeschooling Harder