The Postgrad Podcast
Episode 7 - 1 Year, 59 National Parks. Meet The Switchback Kids!
In August 2015, Cole and Elizabeth Donelson quit their jobs in Kansas City, Missouri, packed up their car and set out to conquer a massive item on their bucket list: visiting all 59 national parks. But rather than just indulge in a year-long vacation, they wanted to add meaning to their adventure by using their trip as a platform to promote the National Park Service and also to inspire others to follow their dreams.
So they started The Switchback Kids, a blog about their journey. They post updates, videos and daily selfies at each stop. They've even garnered media coverage from the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Kansas City Star and the Miami Herald.
In this episode we discuss:
- How and why Cole and Elizabeth decided to take a year off from their lives and travel around the U.S.
- Their average day camping, cooking and exploring at a national park.
- Their route so far, and where they plan on going.
- The challenges of life on the road.
- The larger message Cole and Elizabeth are hoping to spread through their blog, The Switchback Kids.