The Business of Self-Publishing
The Strategic Advantage of a Credible Book Foreword Author
Updated January 31, 2023
Without credibility, your book will not achieve the critical or financial success you seek
For a book foreword to give a substantial strategic advantage over other books competing for the same audience, someone with believable credibility should write it. And this credibility must be backed up by a combination of objective and subjective characteristics simultaneously.
What You Will Learn
1. You will learn how and why objective and subjective characteristics help a person’s credibility.
2. You will learn about some of these characteristics.
3. You will learn some essential traits of a good foreword author.
For a book foreword to give a substantial strategic advantage over other books competing for the same audience, someone with believable credibility should write it.
A combination of objective and subjective characteristics must back up this credibility. We all size up a person by analyzing and weighing these characteristics. These elements work together to build a person’s credibility persona.
What Characteristics Help Build Credibility?
1. Objective characteristics (provable facts) such as college degrees, job titles, written books, achievements, awards, membership in specific organizations, etc.
2. Subjective characteristics (gut feelings) such as dynamic character and intelligence, how someone dresses and speaks, how likable they are, their optimism, confidence, how they relate to an audience, and so on.
What Makes a Good Foreword Author?
Credibility. A good foreword author is considered a known, credible expert in a book's general topic. This person can be a well-established author in the same genre, a well-established and well-known expert, a professor or speaker teaching the same subject, or someone with significant achievements in their work or private life. And they must understand the critical role a book foreword can and must play in a book's overall success.
Established Experts Are in Great Demand
Well-established, highly accomplished, and credible people are in great demand – by the media, other businesses, and authors like you and me that need a book foreword. They’re also very busy with their books, companies, and projects. The more established a person or expert is in a field, the more likely they get bombarded by requests to write someone’s book foreword or provide a testimonial.
As a result, most of the requests will get turned down. For these reasons, getting one of these credible experts to write your book’s foreword will immediately make you and your book stand out from the crowd.
You must never forget that a book foreword is a marketing tool for your non-fiction book. Even if the book is well written and has an attractive cover, without credibility, the book will not achieve the critical or financial success you seek.
A credible foreword author can help you achieve these goals. Therefore, the right person must be found and convinced to write the book foreword. Then, both the book’s foreword author and the book’s author will benefit in many positive ways.
Questions to Think About
1. How can you find and convince a “highly credible person” to write your book’s foreword?
2. What advice would you give yourself about finding someone like this for your book?