New Money Review podcast
2023—year of bank runs
2023 has been a year of bank runs, most notably in the US. What’s going on? And how should we invest in response?
In the latest New Money Review podcast, I talk money, credit, banking and markets with Alex Gloy, founder and chief executive of Lighthouse Investment Management.
Listen in to hear us discuss:
- What is money?
- The role of credit in the monetary system
- Interest and the sustainability of debt
- Why a bitcoin-based monetary system can’t work
- Digital bank runs and the stability of banks
- Should governments underwrite all bank deposits?
- Why markets believe interest rates have peaked
- How Facebook jump-started central bank digital currencies (CBDC)
- Why central banks are walking a tightrope with CBDC
- Why investors should prefer real assets to bonds