New Money Review podcast
What is money laundering?
February 07, 2020
Neil Walsh, head of the Cybercrime, Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Counter-Financing of Terrorism (CFT) Department at the United Nations, gives an exclusive interview to New Money Review.
Our discussion covers:
- What is money laundering?
- How much money laundering is there globally?
- What is the difference between the UN and the FATF when it comes to perceived illicit financial activity?
- The relationship between crime, terrorism and cryptocurrency
- How have governments responded to the invention of cryptocurrencies?
- How significant is the role of cryptocurrencies in money laundering and terrorist financing?
- Efforts to improve the transparency of ownership of companies and trusts
- Is the UK an example of best practices in money laundering or the main global promoter of financial secrecy?
- On competition amongst jurisdictions to offer financial secrecy via corporate and trust structures
- What is the role of NGOs and journalists in helping to combat money laundering and cybercrime?
- Dealing with the kidnapping of cryptocurrency tycoons
- Successes in combatting online child sexual abuse