Leaders Sport Business Podcast
Ep 47: Oli Slipper
Formula 1's new race in Vietnam | The European Super League | 10 years of the O2 for the ATP Finals | Pitch International's place in the media rights landscape | The Perform journey.
David Cushnan and James Emmett have a small sit-down midway through the Leaders Sport Performance Summit to reflect on another batch of sports industry talking points, including the announcement of the first new race on the Formula 1 calendar in the Liberty Media era, some micro-analysis on the would-be European Super League in soccer, and some innovation kudos for the ATP and its twin tournaments in Milan and London.
Later, Oli Slipper (interview starts at 13.53), Executive Chairman at Pitch International, discusses his decision to re-enter the fray of the day-to-day sports business. CEO of Premium TV, and then, when it merged with Inform in 2007, co-CEO of the Perform Group, Slipper stood down from his leadership role at Perform in March 2015. In September this year, Slipper joined London-based sports rights agency Pitch International as Executive Chairman, as Trevor East, long-time Chairman, stood down to take a board role. On the conversational agenda:
- Why Slipper decided to come back;
- His investments over the past three years;
- Pitch International's scope of operation and future direction;
- Milestone moments in the development of Perform, now the DAZN Group;
- The media rights buying landscape and why it's bigger and broader than ever;
- Sports media landscape trends.