Lawyer Business Advantage
Business Development with Steve Fretzin
In this episode, Alay and Steve discuss:
- Taking selling out of client prospecting.
- Having a process for your sales approach.
- Keeping your pipeline thin but full of quality potential clients.
- Qualifying your potential clients and asking the right questions.
- Diagnose first, then prescribe. You have to understand what somebody needs before you can make the sale.
- The best way a meeting can end is in a win-win. The second best way is a no.
- Understand if your prospective client is ready to and wants to make the necessary change.
- There are more layers than there has ever been. Trust, but verify who the actual decision maker is and make sure everyone is on the same page.
- “When you do have a process, then you’ve got a structure that you can get buy-in to that structure from the prospective client, which allows you to run the process, which is a benefit to both parties, leading to a potential win-win. ” — Steve Fretzin
- “We want to invite them to a conversation. Then both people are feeling great about the end of it, whether the end result is yes or no.” — Alay Yajnik
- “If they’re not willing to change a bad situation, then how long do I want to push that rope? Someone’s got to verbalize to me that they’re ready to change.” — Steve Fretzin
- “Digging into need is not taking their first response, or their second, or even their third, but digging really deeper than that.” — Alay Yajnik
About Steve Fretzin:
Driven, focused, and passionate about helping attorneys to reach their full potential, Steve Fretzin is regarded as the premier coach, skills trainer, and keynote speaker on business development for attorneys.
Over the past 17 years, Steve Fretzin has devoted his career to helping lawyers master the art of business development to achieve their business goals and the peace of mind that comes with developing a successful law practice.
In addition to writing four books on legal marketing and business development, Steve has a highly-rated podcast BE THAT LAWYER and has been featured in the Chicago Tribune, Crain’s, and Entrepreneur.com. He has appeared on NBC News, WGN Radio and has written articles for Attorney at Law Magazine, the National Law Review, the American Bar Association, and the Illinois State Bar Association. You can also find his monthly column in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
Connect with Steve Fretzin:
Connect with Alay Yajnik:
One Page Strategic Plan: LawFirmSuccessGroup.com