Bariatric Surgery Success
#142 How to Stop Self Sabotage: Bariatric Mental Health Q & A
When I say the words ‘self-sabotage’, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind? Emotional or comfort eating? Maybe negative self talk? What about fear of failure or even fear of success? You know, those self defeating behaviors that we do to ourselves. Self-sabotage can wreck your weight loss journey after surgery. Bariatric psychologist, Dr. Connie, is here to help you recognize self-sabotage and also to teach you how to overcome it so you can have a successful transformation.
Visit Procarenow.com for all of your vitamin, calcium and protein needs. Use Code: Susan10 to save 10%
You can share the message of hope, healing and transformation with your purchase from NewHopeGirls.com Use code TRANSFORM to save 15%
Guest: Connie Stapleton, PhD
BariAftercare: The Podcast; available on phone podcast apps, Apple podcasts and most other podcatchers
Mind Prep The Book: How To Prepare for Bariatric Surgery and Live as a Healthy Post-Op: Mind Prep: The Book
Please Rate, Review & Follow on Apple Podcasts:
"I love Dr. Susan and Bariatric Surgery Success." If this sounds like you, would you please rate and review my podcast? Click here. Then click on "Listen to Apple Podcasts" at the top. Scroll down to where you see Ratings & Reviews and tap on "Write a Review". Yes, I'd love a 5 star review! LOL Be sure and let me know what you love most about the podcast. Thank you for your time!
If you haven’t followed the podcast, be sure to Follow/Subscribe now so you never miss an episode.
Are you receiving my weekly newsletter, Breaking Down Nutrition? You’ll be the first to know about product specials, helpful tips, the latest podcast and upcoming interviews that you don’t want to miss like today with Dr. Connie. Sign up on my website
Questions we discuss in depth:
- To me, we have to recognize these behaviors that we’re doing and understand them before we can stop. Start us off Dr. Connie with how you see self-sabotage.
- What are some examples of self-sabotage specific to the weight journey?
- I think there are many reasons for self-sabotage. Share some of these with us AND do you see different reasons for self-sabotage tied specifically to the weight loss surgery?
- I think we give food way too much power in our lives. Just look at advertising and how food is all about reward or comfort or a party….over and over we hear this message. Your words about food have influence over your behaviors. Think about it…maybe you say, what a stressful day at work…I deserve some chocolate or i worked out today so now I can treat myself to what I want. When you continue to reinforce this reward mentality, you set yourself up for self sabotage or that self defeating behavior with food over and over where food is your go to especially when stressed. We don’t want to give that much power to food. It’s just food. Thoughts you want to add, Dr. Connie?
- OK Dr. Connie, let’s get specific. Succeeding beyond the first year after surgery is dependent on having a healthy mindset and continuing on with the changes you’ve made the first 12 months. After this 12 months, often called the honeymoon, it seems self-sabotage increases. How do you get out of your own way and overcome self-sabotage so you can continue these positive habits you have worked so hard to build?
- What are the most important take- home messages?