Noobs & the Whovian
108 Nightmare in Silver
This is the one where the Doctor and Clara take two innocent children to a creepy, abandoned theme park so they can be taken over by Cybermen.
Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that doesn’t need to be taken over by a Cyberplanner to argue with itself. It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 108 covering the Series 7 episode 12: Nightmare in Silver
* Story # 238* Originally aired May 11 2013 to 6.64 million viewers * Written by: Neil Gaiman* Directed by: Stephen Woolfenden
* Neil Gaiman confirmed, outside of this episode itself, that this episode was 250,000 years in the future* We’ve mentioned this before – this is not the first time an actor has portrayed both the Doctor and another character in the same episode. In fact, this not only marks the eleventh time, but pulls Matt Smith into the lead with three occurrences. * Of these eleven occurrences, it’s also the fourth time that the actor played the main villain as well as the Doctor.* This is Matt Smith/Eleven’s third series, all three of which have featured the Cybermen in the penultimate (or second-to-last) episode.
* Porridge – Warwick Davis* So many things!* Willow* Leprechaun* Nikabrik in Chronicles of Narnia* Professor Flitwick in Harry Potter* Griphook in Harry Potter* Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi* Weazel in Solo* Rukh in Rebels* Wodibin in The Last Jedi* Weeteef Cyubee in Rogue One* Wollivan in Force Awakens* Wald / Pod race spectator / Mos Espa Citizen in The Phantom Menace* Wicket W. Warrick in Rise of Skywalker
* Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?* Creature of the week* Cybermen* Cybermites!* Cyberplanner/Mr. Clever* I have to win a chess game and you have to die pointlessly far from home.* Geronimo* Running count – 13* But we got an allons-y!
* Clara deaths* Sorta?* Running count – 3
Other stuff we noticed
* In order to defeat the Cybermen, humanity had to wipe out the entire Tiberian Spiral Galaxy. Instead of mourning a billion trillion people, Porridge feels bad for the bloke that had to push the button.* The army had an ice picnic where the polar bears came a did a dance for them* See you next Wednesday. Yes, well a Wednesday, last Wednesday. One of the Wednesdays.
* Who is Clara Oswald?* I trust the Doctor. You think he knows what he’s doing? I wouldn’t go that far.* Do you think I’m pretty? No, you’re too short, bossy, and your nose is all funny.* The impossible girl – a mystery wrapped in an enigma squeezed into a skirt that just a bit too tight.* Who is The Doctor?* He’s officially starting a funny insect collection* He calls the Cybermite beautiful, as usual* I’m going to get Angie, find Artie, and collect funny insects. Stay alive, and don’t blow up the planet!* The Cyberplanner/Mr. Clever remarks on the Doctors binary vascular system, hyper-conductive nervous system and remarkable brain processing power* He could regenerate and burn out all the cyberwidgets, but if I use up this me,