The Bee's Knees
Fighting Knee Inflammation with Your Diet
"Creating a Pain-Free Body" (or What to Eat for Healthy Knees or "say no to knee inflammation")
Hi, I'm Tricia Lahmann, Holistic Health Coach, Knee Rehab Coach, dance instructor and avid runner. I've made it my life's mission to support people through making the VERY BEST choices in their daily lives so they can enjoy their ENTIRE lives to the fullest.. with healthy, pain-free, active bodies that can go the distance and finish their races strong. In this journey together, we can take the BEST course, and have more FUN than we can even imagine. It's a win-win... so let's dig in... in this case we discuss knee inflammation... but first...
Just a little about me - I studied and graduated with a Bachelor's in Education from Purdue University and was a teacher for years before having my own health transformation in 1999, when I lost 35 pounds of weight and stress, then became inspired and on-fire to help others do the same. Health, fitness, wellness -- and guiding people to live their best version of LIFE -- these are the passions of my heart and soul.
So I attended the largest nutrition school in the world, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, also known as "I.I.N.", based in New York. Studied a vast variety of health & nutrition lifestyle strategies (over 100 different dietary theories), the very best in how to create and maintain the healthiest life possible, not just in our bodies, but also within our emotional, spiritual and social lives -- our mindsets. Our mindsets "drive" our lives.
I'll get back to that in a minute or 2, but first let's dive into "What to Eat for Healthy Knees" a.k.a. - Reducing or Avoiding Inflammation & Pain! Yes! This is especially for YOU if you've been suffering from joint pain & discomfort, arthritis, etc.
Fighting Knee Inflammation
Here are the main foods you should be getting more of in your daily / weekly diet to fight knee inflammation -
* Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight inflammation. Also, think of these like "oil for your joints." Most are also very heart-healthy - things like Salmon, Tuna, Trout, Sardines. Not a fan of fish? There's others: Fresh-ground Flaxseed & Flaxseed Oil, Wild Rice (long-grain Black Wild Rice has mega vitamins, minerals, protein & fiber), Eggs (especially free-range, flaxseed-fed), and also Walnuts & Walnut Cooking Oil.
* Garlic, Onions, Leeks - which all contain a compound that may help slow the wear & tear of our cartilage, as well as being natural anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-knee inflammation super heroes! Anti-inflammatory foods reduce arthritis pain, these are your friends.
* Tart Cherries - that beautiful red color possesses anthocyanin, a compound that helps reduce joint pain & inflammation, and has been used for years to help treat gout. Can also drink its juice (be cautious about the quality, & watch out for added sugar..sugar increases inflammation). With REAL fruit, you also have the benefits of fiber & other nutrients.
* Vitamin C - antioxidants in vitamin C may slow the progression of osteoarthritis, and as we know, this vitamin is a powerhouse for our immune systems as well. Find the greatest amount in Red Bell Peppers (surprise!), all citrus fruits like Limes, Lemons, Oranges; also Strawberries, Kiwi, Pineapple and Cantaloupe. It's best to get your vitamin C from real food, but if you DO take a supplement, there's a warning not to go above 70 mg daily, because in large doses you can increase the risk for kidney stones. Our bodies are very good at balancing out nutrients coming from food - they're in a natural, recognizable form that our cells can handle.
* Vegetables, specifically the cruciferous family -- Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower -- these all contain sulforaphane which help slow cartilag...