The Round Six Podcast
Talking Toners and Tools
HE'S NOT A "CUSTOM" PAINTER. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.
The Round Six Gearheads sat down with painter Mick Jenkins for an hour of paint talk.
In Episode Six, we discuss the latest tools and techniques, the time and effort required to paint cars at the AMBR and Ridler level, and even wax a bit nostalgic.
We laughed, we learned, and we asked a ton of questions that Mick was kind enough to answer. Even after Brian called him Mick Jagger. And Mickey Dolenz.
THINGS COVERED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The difference between a painter and a custom painter
- The Pure Vision '57 Ford wagon's SEMA debut
- Mick hints at a Ridler project in the shop
- Brian coins a phrase
- Rare and notable cars
- Mick's favorite project: The Anvil Mustang from Fast and Furious
- The guys do their homework
- The time required to turn out an AMBR-winning finish
- The fine line between passion and a job
- The difference between hot rodding in England VS the United States
- Working from a great career to going back to starting at rung one
- Starting out in the US with Dan Fink, Chip Foose, So-Cal and more
- Mick's personal roadster project
- Working to a level and not wishing to back down from it
- Staffing a high-end shop with the right personnel
- The importance of being one's worst critic, but in moderation
- The continual evolution of paint quality
- Advancements in paint materials and chemistry