Scuba Shack Radio
49. Maintaining your BCD, Oceanographic Magazine and Sea Hunt – It’s Still Alive at the Point of No Return
One of the ways you can ensure that your buoyancy compensating device (BCD) is operating properly is to make sure that you properly clean and inspect the BCD after diving. First you will want to clean out your bladder.
Geoengineering can be another weapon in the fight against climate change. Geoengineering refers to large-scale schemes for intervention in the earth’s ocean, soil and atmosphere with the aim of reducing the effects of climate change.
When is the last time you had your underwater camera system out. If it has been a while you might want to consider taking it out, making sure it was properly cleaned before you put it in storage, and that you do an inventory of all the components.
46. DEMA 2020 Recap, the Coral Reef Conservation Act of 2000 and Sea Hunt – It’s Still Alive – Synthetic Hero
The Dive Equipment and Marketing Association held it’s annual conference virtually this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The show featured a number of virtual presentations that were fairly effective and gave a feel to being there.
45. A discussion on tank valves, the Ocean-based Climate Solution Act of 2020 and Dick Anderson – a pioneer in scuba diving
Tank valves are sometimes taken for granted. Although seemingly simple there are a number of parts deep inside you valve that will deteriorate over time. Tank valves should be periodically overhauled. One recommendation is that you can have it overhaul...
44. A discussion on decompression theory, Diving Against Debris, and Your Next Dive takes you to Cayman Brac
Decompression theory is the study and modeling of how inert gas gets from our lungs to our body and then how it is released from our body. All decompression models have evolved from the work by John Scott Haldane.
The PADI Rescue Diver course is an extremely challenging and rewarding evolution. Our course consisted of knowledge development – done through a thorough and comprehensive electronic learning, a review of that material through a virtual meeting,
42. Regulator Pressure Discussion, Learn about the Coral Restoration Foundation, and another pioneer of the underwater world – Ed Link
Regulator pressure is a critical component of your regulator maintenance. Every year you should have your regulator’s pressures checked and adjusted whether you are having an inspection or overhaul. The intermediate pressure (IP) of the first stage sho...
Scuba air quality is imperative in diving. Scuba grade air must adhere to the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) standards. The standard for scuba is Grade E and outlines the limits for contaminants in that air.
40. Delayed Surface Marker Buoy, Plastic Bag Laws, and Sea Hunt – It’s Still Alive – Midget Submarine
We recently incorporated the delayed surface marker buoy adventure dive in our advanced open water class. Listen to our reasoning and how beneficial this was to both our students and instructors. Being able to deploy your surface marker buoy from depth...