Plant Proof - Plant Based Nutrition & Inspirational Stories
Cell based meat and the future of food with Bruce Friedrich
In Episode 109 I sit down with lawyer and Co-Founder of the Good Food Institute Bruce Friedrich to talk about two solutions to the current problems with our food system: these solutions being plant based meat and cultivated or 'cell-based' meat.
Specifically we cover:
• What's wrong with the current food system and how it is impacting human health, planetary health and animal welfare
• Specifics on climate change, COVID-19, antibiotic resistance, production inefficiencies and food security
• What plant based and cultivated meats are
• Specifics related to bio mimicking meat using cells collected via biopsy
• Where these industries are currently and the projections
• The companies leading the way in these industries
• Why major meat companies are investing into this space
• Barriers to entry
• When we can expect to see cell based meat on shelf
• How these types of products are likely to be perceived by customers
• and much more
Good Food Institute
Bruce's Ted Talk
Bruce on Twitter
Good Food Institute on Instagram
If you're a regular listener you will know I prefer to do these conversations in person. I apologise in advance for slightly tinny audio from Bruce's end - the recording software is a bit hit and miss compared to when you are in the same room! Nonetheless it's certainly not the worst audio I have heard and the information is tremendously insightful.
Want to support the show?
The single best way you can support the show is by leaving a review on Apple podcast app - it only takes a few minutes and would be much appreciated.
Simon Hill, Nutritionist, Physiotherapist
Creator of Plantproof.com - a free resource for plant based nutrition information
If you want to receive FREE nutritional information to your inbox subscribe to the Plant Proof Newsletter.
My book is coming out February 2021 published with Penguin - I cannot wait to share with you (all revenue I receive is being donated to charity). In the lead up the launch I am going to use this newsletter a lot more with loads of free information each month to help you better optimise your diet.