Plant Proof - Plant Based Nutrition & Inspirational Stories
How you can prevent Chronic Disease with Dr Dean Ornish, MD
In Episode 71 I sit down with one of the pioneers of Lifestyle Medicine, Dr Dean Ornish. Dr Ornish is most well known for the Randomised Controlled Trial 'The Lifestyle Heart Trial' where he was able to show that cardiovascular disease could not just be halted in its tracks, but in many cases, actually reversed. In this exchange, that took place in Sausalito at Dean's office, we talk about why we see such a high incidence of Chronic Disease in Western populations and the steps that you can take in order to genuinely take control of your health.
Specifically we cover:
• Dean's personal life & pathway into Medicine
• His very first clinical trial
• The Lifestyle Heart Trial and what we can learn from the intervention and results
• What's causing cardiovascular disease in the first place - why do some people refute the findings associating saturated fat & LDL cholesterol with cardiovascular disease?
• The Atkin's, Keto & Paleo diets
• TMAO & cardiovascular disease
• Healthy eating habits - What Dr Dean Ornish uses clinically and believes is the healthiest human diet in the world
• Weight loss - what various approaches fail to address
• Joy of living versus fear of dying
• His research on Alzheimer's & lifestyle interventions
• and much more
Lifestyle Heart Trial
5 year lifestyle intervention trial
Undo It by Dr Dean & Ann Ornish
If you enjoyed the episode and have a spare 1-2 minutes please leave a review on iTunes so the Plant Proof podcast ranks higher and becomes more discoverable for other listeners. And if you have any friends that you think will benefit from listening to this episode or any of the other Plant Proof episodes please share the link - together we can make this world a healthier place.
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be found on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud or on the Plantproof.com directly. If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit 'subscribe' or 'follow' on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Of course, if you loved the episode. Share your feedback on social media and tag Dr Dean Ornish (@deanornishmd) and myself (@plant_proof) - we'd love to hear from you!
Hope you enjoy the episode friends.
Creator of Plantproof.com - your FREE resource for plant based nutrition information
If you want to receive FREE nutritional information to your inbox subscribe to the Plant Proof Newsletter
Book coming out 2020 with Penguin (all proceeds being donated to charity)