One Page At a Time Podcast
Episode 23: Building Character with Picture Books with Mary Costello
Building character with picture books is not even possible, we here at One Page at a Time argue that it's fantastic. We hear about how one Bookstagrammer is using picture books to help their whole family learn 12 Character Traits in 2020.
This week we are joined by Mary Costello, the amazing woman behind the website, Children’s Lit Love. Mary spent years gaining her education in Child development and Elementary education before teaching elementary school for ten years. When he oldest was born she began using that wealth of knowledge and experience in her own home and now shares it with us on her website and Instagram account.
In this episode we talk about:
1. How she went from being the book recommendation lady for all of her friends to her website now, which still has plenty of book recommendations, but also fantastic information on children’s literacy in general.
2. Their family’s journey this year to focus on developing different character traits with their children. They wanted to be very intentional about teaching their girls certain things, so they pick a new trait each month to talk about. Mary puts together the books and other things they have used so far and shares them all on her sites.
3. We talked a bit about the nitty-gritty of how exactly they have been putting this character trait plan into practice in their family and what roles she and her husband play in what they do.
4. Mary had some thoughts on how to do something similar if you do not have the same support from a spouse. She especially points out that by the end of the year she will have twelve character traits-worth of lists and information that anyone can use, thus cutting down on a ton of work and preparation for someone who wants to try it!
5. How has it been going so far for them? In Mary’s own words, “It is going so much better than we had imagined!” It has been fun and unifying for their family and they have been able to see the differences in their girls that their efforts have made.
6. Why books are such a good fit for what she and her husband are doing with the character traits in their family this year.
7. How Mary handles the gathering and organization of the books she collects and uses for her monthly topics.
8. And some great book recommendations to round us off!
We are so grateful to Mary for taking the time to talk with us! More information about her, her sties, and their family’s character traits development journey can be found in the following places:
In Building Character with Picture Books we mention:
Molly and Mae by Danny Parker
Mindset by Carol Dweck
The Power of Showing Up by Daniel J Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
Clementine (series) by Sara Pennypacker
Henry Huggins (series) by Beverly Cleary
Ramona (series) by Beverly Cleary
Sharing a Shell by Julia Donaldson
Bear Feels Scared by Karma Wilson