Consider This! | Conservative political commentary in 10 minutes or less
Episode 312: COVID Restrictions Lifting (Now) / Problematic School Names
So many restrictions that were enforced because of COVID-19 are being lifted, seemingly all at once. Is it a miracle, or is there something else going on?
The San Francisco Board of Education has decided to rename 44 of its schools. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are among those problematic school names, but there are many more that you would not think are a problem (especially when you hear one example of why one of those names is on the list).
All Hail The Reopening!
Andrew Cuomo Announces Indoor Dining Can Resume Despite Coronavirus Being Worse Than When He Banned It
San Francisco to strip Washington, Lincoln from school names
Statues of Washington, Jefferson Aren’t ‘Next,’ But It’s Complicated, Historians Say
Protesters tore down a George Washington statue and set a fire on its head
Portland protesters tear down ‘racist’ statue of Thomas Jefferson
The Holier-Than-Thou Crusade in San Francisco
All hail the reopening! That’s the headline on a blog post at ZeroHedge that notices an interesting coincidence. Now that Donald Trump is gone and Joe Biden has come, the sun has once again come out, the birds are singing, and we can all of a sudden reopen our businesses. Can I get an amen? [Amen and awomen]
This is a list, incomplete as it might be, of reopenings that have come on the heels of Biden’s inauguration:
* Washington, D.C. will resume indoor dining. I’m sure the National Guard will appreciate that.
* Maryland’s governor has decided that the state needs to reopen schools now and no later than March 1.
* Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan says Michigan restaurants reopened for indoor dining on February 1.
* Chicago’s mayor is now demanding an immediate opening of restaurants and bars. Chicago is also threatening teachers unions that they must return to work.
* New York Governor Cuomo has dramatically reversed his rhetorical course and demanded a reopening of the city. He said that indoor dining can resume on Valentine’s Day, even though nearly every COVID metric is worse now than it was when he banned it.
* California Governor Gavin Newsom, incredibly, has lifted all stay-at-home orders across the state and is permitting dining to open up.
* Montana’s new governor has lifted some COVID restrictions.
Coincidence? Hey, I’m sure all of this just evolved naturally rather than being created all at once. I will also note that Gov. Newsom of California is very close to getting a recall election and would really hope people liked him in time for that. The Babylon Bee has an animation with the good governor going all over telling people it’s time to reopen, but in the background are boarded up restaurants, smoldering buildings, and no people.
[Babylon Bee clip]
It’s truly amazing how following the science is looking more and more like following the politics. The World Health Organization said to stop using lockdowns as a primary means of virus control back in October, but that was before the election and before Biden took office. In October, cases were still on the rise,