Episode 97 - Small Business Agile
June 09, 2019
So what did we learn from the practical yet unofficial use of Agile at the small business level?
- To disrupt like a startup, you have to act like one. Focus on value, plan and invest lean for effective, rapid cycles
- The minute you execute you should be adjusting
- Make commitments and investments (including decisions) at the last possible moment
- You literally have to break the cycle of traditional planning and analysis
- You can now bring these techniques to different parts of a large scale business, but only if they’re willing to act like a startup in order to get the benefits
- By the way, if you have non-business friends who are yearning to start a business, teach them agile fundamentals - so much wisdom is locked up in the simple concepts that can help them place small bets, get started with almost nothing, and evolve as they grow. This could prevent an otherwise brilliant idea from being snuffed out at the idea phase by new entrepreneurs who are too overwhelmed to execute.